Friday, February 1, 2013

A Walk Down Maiden Lane

There is nothing that makes you feel more like a San Franciscan version of Carrie Bradshaw than taking a walk down Maiden Lane. I had the great fortune of doing this yesterday, sans legitimate camera. When I walked by the street, it beckoned me to linger, with its gorgeous lighting and serene atmosphere, and I knew I had to share! I also decided to take my first dip into the Instagram album pool. Forgive my doggy paddle skill with these low-res cell phone photos.


                                      View Larger Map

Located in downtown San Francisco, adjacent to Union Square between Stockholm and Kearny streets, this cute two-block pedestrian street is most easily accessed by the Montgomery Street or Powell Street BART Stations.

MAIDEN LANE FACING UNION SQUARE

The poor reputation of old Morton Street (now, Maiden Lane) as a red light district was eradicated by the 1906 earthquake and now posh, upscale boutiques and art galleries are the only sins you'll find here. Upon street renovation, a jeweler (with a keen sense of marketing) changed the street's name in order to evoke the cheerfully intimate Maiden Lanes of New York and London.

The lane even has its own website! And there's nothing more posh than that.

From 11-5 daily, the street is blocked from traffic with Chanel-funded wrought iron gates, which are reopened in the evenings. I've seen an opera singer singing at the gate entrances before. Click here for a short blurb about that.


SHOPS:

Some particularly up-scale shops can be found on this street, including, of course:

CHANEL

Note the vishies working in the window. NOT akin to my visual merchandising experience, I'm sure.
Open 10-6 daily, Sunday 12-5.


This San Francisco institution's website says it all, "The legendary destination for unique gifts, fine jewelry, luxurious home decor, and one of a kind decorative objects. Since 1861." I once accidentally broke a $50 glass ornament there while trying to make my way through the chaotic holiday crowds. Needless to say, they were absolutely charming about it. Check out their website for adorable stories submitted by Gump's enthusiasts. Also check out their shop for unique San Francisco souvenirs.
Open 10-6 daily, Sunday 12-5.

BRITEX FABRICS

"The latest styles in fabrics can be found here: yet the atmosphere of this independent business is a throwback to an era when service was as important as value."

Since 1952, this is another San Francisco institution, with four breathtaking floors of merchandise.

FLOORS
4.) remnants, faux fur, felt & fleece, net & tulles, vinyl & leather
3.) notions & accessories, buttons (over 75,000!) & bridal, ribbons & trims, buckles & tassels, patterns & books
2.) home decor, cottons & linens, rayons & polyesters, velvets & lycras, metallics & sequins
1.) woolens, silks, brocades, couture laces, linings

What really stood out to me is that the staff is from another time - impeccably professional and expert. I went into the store looking for bow tie fabrics and immediately became consumed in the quantity and quality of options, gawking and drooling like a kid in a candy shop. The sales staff had to put me back on track. At the checkout desk, they offer free Britex post cards, with the outline of famous San Francisco landmarks including the Britex sign. Yes, I will, thankyouverymuch.
Open 10-6 daily, closed Sunday. www.britexfabrics.com

BRITEX INDOORS

ALLSAINTS SPITALFIELDS

Also on the lane is British fashion retailer AllSaints Spitalfields, with its ubiquitous vintage Singer sewing machines in the window. Where did they get them all?
Open 10-8 daily, Sunday 11-7. 

HERMÈS

Hermès' interesting window display, combining a red, simplistic wooden human mannequin portraying a security guard (?) with several cups of coffee and a security system aimed at the merchandise.
Open 10-6 daily, closed Sunday. 

CHRISTOFLE

This store reminds me of my grandmother and her high regard for this manufacturer of fine silver flatware and home accessories, based in France since 1830.
Hours not listed online.

OTHER CUTE SHOP WINDOWS OF NOTE:

Very "Black Swan," to me, yet cheerful.

Apparently there are Super Bowl fans on Maiden Lane!

... and the next fabulous boutique space can be yours! 

ARCHITECTURE OF NOTE:

XANADU GALLERY

San Francisco's only Frank Lloyd Wright building is located here, at 140 Maiden Lane. It was originally designed in 1948 as the V.C. Morris Gift Shop, and it now houses the Xanadu Gallery, selling fine Asian antiques. Inside, there is a spiral ramp reminiscent of the Guggenheim Museum. The entrance is an updated Romanesque arch, which beckons the passerby rather than vulgarly displaying merchandise on the sidewalk, according to Wright. The interior has a very prominent bubble theme, which I failed to take pictures of, although the kind doorman allowed me to. 

As I took the above picture from across the street, the doorman opened the door for me, invited me in, showed me the informational booklet located at the front desk, and was overall very generous and polite. This store is accustomed to admirers and welcomes them inside, which was an unexpected and wonderful service. 

Courtesy http://www.xanadugallery.us/

From the informational booklet, I learned that the wooden built-ins shown above are original. I also learned the significance of Frank Lloyd Wright's signature red tile on the wall outside the front door. The architect began placing a signed, single red tile on the outside of his buildings whose final outcome met his standards. He began this practice after completing the V.C. Morris Gift Shop, but came back and added it because he was so proud of the space.
Open daily 10-6, closed Sunday and Monday.

F.LL.W'S SIGNATURE RED TILE OUTSIDE XANADU

DINING OPTIONS ON MAIDEN LANE:

If you want to dine at an outdoor cafe as though you were sitting in a hidden, quaint street in a chic European city, well then this is the place to be. 

I saw two cafes on the street, Mocca and Bistro 69.


MOCCA - Cafe and Italian Restaurant - Counter service, cash only, tri-tip sandwich comes highly recommended.
Open 10:30-5:30 daily. No website listed. $$. 3.5 stars out of 5, on Yelp.com.

BISTRO 69 - Eclectic menu. I think I walked by during their 16th anniversary free cheeseburger and fries lunch celebration, unbeknownst to me. Drat.
Open 8:00-3:45 daily, closed Sunday. www.bistro69sf.com. $$ 3 stars out of 5, on Yelp.com.


ME

All in all, this fantastic hidden-yet-magnificent European-style fairy tale street is just another reason why I love this new city. I can sympathize with Carrie when she says, "If you can only have one great love, then the city may be mine. And I don't want nobody talkin' sh*t about my boyfriend."



No comments:

Post a Comment