Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Stop While I'm Ahead

Last night, I came to the realization that I have a tendency to, depending on the situation, toe the line or  push a little harder, with hopes that the extra effort will make the difference/pay off somehow. Timing is an art that I have not yet mastered, but which I admire very much in others.

I had this moment of introspection while cooking from a great recipe by Martha Stewart (there she is again!), Quinoa and Apple Salad with Curry Dressing.


Photo by Carl Carter for marthastewart.com


In the recipe, Martha asks for 1/4 cup whole almonds, lightly toasted until fragrant. Either I haven't developed "the touch" yet or my subconscious can't compute the word 'toasted', and I lightly charred the almonds. Also, during a phone interview yesterday, I started and ended the conversation insisting on my computer literacy. Perhaps only once would have sufficed? Oh well. Work in progress. 

By the way, the reason I picked this recipe was because I wanted a new way to use the apples from our AWESOME CSA we've joined here in the Bay Area called Farm Fresh to You. If you want to check them out, they have a retail store in the San Francisco Ferry Building. We first joined a CSA in San Diego and had such a great experience that it was at the top of our list of priorities after our move. I love the idea of eating fresh, seasonal organic fruits and veggies from a local source. You're supporting the community and staying healthy! Win-win! It also forces you to try new foods that you may not have tried before and find creative ways of cooking them!




REASONS WHY FARM FRESH TO YOU ROCKS:

1.) You can choose the size of box that fits your appetite, or your family. 

2.) They deliver the CSA box to your doorstep! You can't get any more convenient than that.

3.) You can choose the frequency of deliveries. Weekly, every 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th week!

4.) No commitment required. You've moved/changed your mind? It's no hassle to cancel/suspend delivery.

5.) Customization options available, if you loathe one thing or want more of another.

6.) It's affordable!

-----------------------

On another topic, I finally finished ONE of the many DIY projects I've been working on. String Art. 




I got my inspiration from a fun new blog I discovered the night I began my own blog: Honey and Fitz. She has a great DIY String Art Tutorial, but I altered her design and method a bit to fit my style.

This project was not a budget-buster, to say the least. 

Two packs of 3/4 inch silver nails from a big-box store, for under $1 apiece = $2
Four colors of embroidery floss from Michael's, under $0.40 apiece (not shown) = $1.60
Tape (on hand)
Hammer (on hand)
Printed word (on hand)
Shipping crate slats (on hand, see previous post) 
    - A cork board would have been another good option
Small steel plate to join the two wooden pieces (on hand)

To begin, I would recommend using a larger backdrop than my wooden slats, to allow more room for the design, embroidery floss, and the nails. Make sure you find a BOLD or thick font for the word you print. This was difficult for me, because I was looking for a cursive font whose letters were attached. (Cursive fonts are not often BOLD.) I also wanted a cool-looking "z"! Searching for the right font took me hours, and I still think it could have been improved. I recommend DaFont as a good source for free fonts. I couldn't figure out how to print my font any larger than I did, so it actually ended up fitting well in the space. Do you know how to print extra-large text (from a regular home printer), without the letters chopping off?

I printed the text, then cut the letters out individually. I arranged and taped them onto my board. Originally, I planned to use red yarn, but quickly learned that it would have looked too thick on the design. Hence the need for embroidery floss.




Then, I carefully hammered the little nails along the outside edge of my letters. For an hour. Much to the chagrin of my neighbors, I'm sure. Working with the nails in the seam between the boards was a challenge, as they often fell out. 






I then removed the paper and tape, which came off easily. 



Finally, the colorful part! Beginning with a knot at one end, I weaved between the nail heads at random. It was a rhythmic, satisfying process, easily undone if the outcome wasn't satisfactory. I chose to do four different colors for the four letters. 




Here is the final product!






I think it looks pretty neat! What do you think? 

Now that I've gone "ahead" and finished my nail and string art, I should take a pause. Back to work. I may already have spent too much time on this today. Darn, here I go again. Work in progress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment